Mar 21, 2012

Sincerely...Adorable Easter Cards


Hi! This is Debbie with Kiwi Lane Designs. With Easter coming in just a couple of weeks, Gail and I decided that we would focus on Easter Cards for this month's Sincerely segment. We've been having so much fun! It's amazing how many cute ideas you can come up with when using the designer templates to create your cards.


On this first Easter card, I wanted to create the feeling of an Easter basket...the kind I used to make with my kids when they were young. You know...cut strips of construction paper and weave them together to make a basket. So I cut strips to make a basket-type border and then filled my basket with eggs and even a little 'peep', which was made out of the Tiny Nature 1T leaf. I added a jewel for the eye and used some yellow stickles to color the beak. I used Tiny Shapes 4T and 8T to make the different-sized eggs, and just cut one of the eggs apart so it looked 'cracked' open. I wanted some grass in my basket, so I took the Tiny Wacky 3T shape and clipped the edges for grass. It worked great! I used the Rings 2 behind the eggs to give the impression of a handle for my basket. Then I added the Tiny Accents 5T as a really cute embellishment for the basket. It turned out better than I expected...really, really cute!

On my second card, I wanted to use Glimmer Mist to shape the flower and add some sparkle to it and to the title. I hope you can see the shine in the pictures. If you've never heard of Glimmer Mist, or you've never used it...let me introduce it to you!


Glimmer Mist is a Tattered Angels product and comes in a whole bunch of different colors. I always have a bottle of Pearl Glimmer Mist with me when I scrapbook. It gives a glimmer and a shine to anything you spray it on, but I also like to use it to 'mold' my flowers or to give texture to any embellishment that I'm using. So, instead of a flat tiny accents flower on this card, I sprayed it with glimmer mist and then used my fingers to mold it into the shape I wanted. I love how it brings the flower to life!


The templates I used in making this card were: Sentiments 2a2b, Tiny Shapes 4T, 8T and Tiny Accents 1T.

Now, it's Gail's turn!

Hi everyone! Once again it's time for some card inspiration- yay! I thought a Spring and Easter theme would be appropriate right now since we are all ready for warmer weather. I was also asked to try to use Glimmer Mist on my cards this month, and I enjoyed using something I often forget about using! The only color of Glimmer Mist I own right now is pearl, which I love, but doesn't show up in pictures very well. So make the pics as big as you can to get the most detail! And visit my blog for more how-to's and details.

Spring Birds Card

I loved the Love Birds card that Kiwi Lane did for Valentine's Day, and I took that as inspiration for this card. If you missed the tutorial about how to use the leaf template to make a bird, go check it out here :) I sprayed pretty much everything on this card with glimmer mist and I love how it shimmers!

Templates used: Nature 1, Tiny Nature 1T, Mini Paisley Place 2B, Tiny Wacky 2T. Finished card size: 5”x7”.

Happy Spring Card


For this card I thought I'd try my hand at using glimmer mist with masking. It turned out great! Seriously, pictures won't do it justice so just try this at home! I first traced and cut 3 eggs using the smaller oval in the Tiny Shapes template set. Then I made masks from the sticky part of some sticky notes using punches and scissors. I put the masks on the eggs where I wanted them, sprayed the eggs with a heavy dose of Glimmer Mist and let them dry. I also used glimmer mist on the flower layers. The center of the flower is bakers twine and the sentiment is handwritten (you can use a stamp or leave it blank).

Finished card size: 4 1/4" x 5 1/4" (slightly off the standard notecard size, but what can I say? Tip: measure twice cut once :P )

Templates used: Tiny Nature 1T, Tiny Accents 1T, Sentiments 2A and 2B

Easter Bunny Card


There was no Glimmer Mist used on this card. But it's still fabulous! Know why? It's a 10 minute card!! Really! (In all fairness, if you choose to ink everything like I do, that will add a minute or two more. Which makes it a 12 minute card. Still quick!) It's pretty self-explanatory from the picture. Just a few tips: use those fancy edging scissors you don't use very often (we all have at least a few pairs, right?) to cut out the white "fur" of the bunny. I used a medium scallop for this card; you don't have to use brads for the eyes and nose- use whatever you have- goggly eyes, buttons, felt and paper would all work just great; instead of jewels on the sentiment bracket, try using stickles.

Templates used: Rings 2 (trace the outside, not the inside), Tiny Shapes 4T and 8T, Tiny Brackets 2T and 4T

What I learned from making this month's Sincerely... cards: I need to get some more colors of Glimmer Mist!! It is so much fun to play with and, paired with KLD templates, the possibilities are endless!

1 comment:

Kiwi Lane Designs said...

The cards a so cute. Gail and Debbie! I want to try all these designed now on a 12 x 12 page! =)